“… and I smile staring into your eyes and they are like kaleidoscopes spinning in snow.”
Oh man full disclosure this weeks Drawing Lines is being written like 30 minutes before I need to post it due to me being up all night with sick kids. You guys don’t know just how close you came to not getting a DL this morning. I’ve gotten maybe 2 hours sleep total and I think I’m starting to hallucinate and stuff…. is this a keyboard in front of me? What are these words I’m typing saying? Am I suppose to cuss or something? Perhaps since I’m in an altered state I’ll try out writing this post without using one single swear word! I know, sounds like a impossible feat doesn’t it? And to be honest I don’t even think i can do it, I mean me not using the F word is like a fish not using the ocean – it just IS. it is part of nature and the order of things. But gosh darn it dudes I’m gonna try, I’m really gonna try. Read on fearless readers and cheer me on on this rough Sunday morning – I’m gonna need it to get through these Bullet Points without using colorful language!
- Anyone see the Thor movie this weekend? Cosmo did and go check out his great review of the film here. seems like Marvel Studios can really do no wrong with their movies. I mean even the sub-par films are enjoyable enough to rake in over 100 million bucks from us fanboys. They have really tapped into a market that will support anything that comes down the line – as long as its got their favorite superheroes and stuff in it. (see, I used “stuff” instead of “sh__” I’m Doing it dudes! I can do it!). But I have fear about the DC side of things. they have only hit pay dirt with their batman franchise and to some extent the new Superman one headed by Zach Snyder. My faith in Snyder is shaky at best. At times that guy can turn out an amazingly awesome scene then a half beat later he’ll turn around and give us an incredibly stupid one with slow-mo to boot. Freakin bi-polar! I have hopes that Batman / Superman is a good film but I have my doubts – and I hate to to say it really stems from one word – Affleck.
- Image comics is really giving us the goods lately. Why is it almost every debut issue from that company is better then most of the other crap that the big two put out? is that they care more about comics then Marvel of DC? Is that they support and nurture creators more then anyone else out there? Take chances on stories that don’t necessarily fit the normal structure? Whatever the reason Image comics has become the front runner for new talent to be seen and introduced to the world of comics and also for established writers and artists to try out radical and avant garde ideas that Marvel and DC just don’t see potential in or just cant publish due to the adult themes being presented. Bottom line dudes we need to support this company so that they never stop giving us these quality books that spur our imagination and fill our minds with dreams of fantastical worlds and characters that we would have never gotten without them taking a chance. Buy these books man. Buy and spread the love.
- Speaking of love, damn it dudes (damn doesn’t count does it? ) I think I may be in love here. Another reason for the shortness and abruptness of Drawing Lines, I’ve been spending a lot of time with this girl and Jesus man I think I might be falling in love and it dominates everything I do and think about lately. I mean, here I am writing a comic book post for a comic book site and I’m talking about it! Its nuts I tell you. Crazy! But crazy good. She is blanketing my world with snow and everything has gone white and I am blinded by it.
- Is it just me or has there been a changing of the guard in teams of comic books writers lately? Out with the old and in with the new. Not long ago we were all about comic writers like Scott Snyder and Grant Morrison, Brian Michael Bendis, and others – but lately new blood like Ales Kot, Charles Soule, Matt Kindt, and
Jason Aaronhave shown the old men how its done – at least in terms of keeping things fresh and exciting within the guidelines of Marvel and DC’s strict continuity rules. They have shown is possible to deliver a decent story within the walls of editorial bull-crap that have been erected around them – and thank god for them because they are single handily keeping me interested in buying Marvel and DC books. Swamp Thing under Soules guidance had gone from dropsville to must have status within the course of a month or or two. That title is one of the best out there right now and I am blown away by it. I had predicted that after Snyder’s run had ended (which was with a whimper and not a bang, mind you) that Swamp Thing would be canceled – but to my delight it has gone on to grow in strength and surpass my expectations. Please please please DC don’t do something stupid like fire Soule or take him off the book like you have a habit of doing. Just let him continue to make your books awesome! Whats so wrong with awesome?
- Hey my friends so check out these new NBC logos that were submitted to us. There just might be one in there that will take the place of our current logo and grace this site.
Still some hate going on for Agents of SHIELD, I see. Yeah, there’s room for improvement but I thought this week’s episode was pretty strong. Needed some character development and the latest episode was a nice step in the right direction.
This new announcement is rather good. Enjoyed Bendis’s Alias book, big fan of the old Power Man and Iron Fist series, and yes, Waid’s Daredevil is most definitely the way to go.
I like the idea of a limited run of 13 episodes. That way you can have a beginning. middle and end. There seems to be a lot of hate out there for the Birds of Prey TV show, but I quite liked that. And one of the good things about it was that they built toward a conclusion with their 13th episode. So even though they got cancelled it didn’t just fizzle out or leave you hanging as so many shows do these days.
I guess these new shows will follow a similar tone to Arrow, which is just fine. That show goes from strength to strength. Good story arcs, good characterisation, and also a sense of fun about itself.
Obviously Daredevil is the big name in this batch so here’s hoping it’s third time lucky. Yes, the Ben Affleck movie wasn’t that great (although the director’s cut version is a big improvement) and as much as I love Rex Smith as Street Hawk (obviously) that Hulk TV movie did Daredevil even less favours.
My favourite of the bunch is Iron Fist. So I’m hoping for Danny in his green and yellow PJ’s. Don’t mess it up with a TV re-design that looks nothing like the original (again, see Daredevil in Hulk TV movie).
Obviously the TV budget won’t be anything like the movies but you can still do a lot by building up your characters nicely. I’m loving The Tomorrow People right now, and for super powers on an even smaller budget there’s Misfits. Awesome show with some great characters and lots of dark humour. Building to it’s grand finale now though. Gonna miss that.
Best super powers show ever… Misfits of Science. God I fucking LOVE that show. Again, not an over abundance of powers but just the greatest bunch of characters and some fun, off beat situations.
Just not sure about the whole “Defenders” thing. I assume they’re saying that after the seperate series that Daredevil, Power Man, Iron Fist and Jessica Jones will team up as The Defenders. Nah, c’mon Marvel we all know who The Defenders are and it’s not those four. It’s gotta be Heroes for Hire. Yeah, yeah, Daredevil’s not technically a hero for hire but you can hire Matt Murdock as a lawyer.
NOTHING BUT CONCUSSIONS!
The Ultimate Super-Hero Battle!
There will be four divisions for the contestants:
- Division 1: Heroes Without Powers (ie: Batman, Captain America)
- Division 2: Heroes with Psychic Powers (ie: Jean Grey, Harbinger)
- Division 3: Heroes with Super Strength (ie: The Hulk, The Thing)
- Division 4: Heroes with Multiple Powers (ie: Superman, Spider-Man)
Today you you be voting for your favorite Division 1 Heroes. Read their Stats carefully, then cast your vote for which hero you think would win in a fight. Choose wisely and then see if your picks will make it to the Final Ultimate fight at the end. Alright let’s get to it!
DIVISION 1: ROUND TWO BATTLES!
BATMAN vs OZYMANDIAS
- Genius-level intellect
- Peak physical and mental conditioning
- Master martial artist, acrobat, detective, escapologist, strategist, swordsman, tactician, and marksman
- Use of high-tech equipment, weapons, armors, & gadgets
- Master of stealth
- Master of disguise
- Highly proficient with technology
- Access to vast wealth and criminal records
- Trained computer hacker
- Photographic memory
- Genius-level intellect
- Master strategist
- Amazing athlete and martial artist
- Photographic memory
- Possesses sophisticated weapons and equipment
- Limited super speed and reaction time
DAMIAN WAYNE vs MOON KNIGHT
- Excellent athlete and acrobat;
- exceptional martial artist trained by the League of Assassins
- access to high tech equipment
- good detective skills
- good business skills
- gift for voice imitation.
- Superb athlete
- Master at martial arts and hand-to-hand combatant
- Resistance to some psychic assaults
- Skilled acrobat, gymnast, and detective
- Expert aviator and marksman
- Possesses both traditional and sophisticated weaponry
ELEKTRA vs BLACK WIDOW
- Peak human physical ability
- Master of virtually all martial arts, particularly ninjutsu
- Low-level mind control and telepathic communication
- Expert with various types of weaponry, particularly her trademark twin sai
- Slowed aging
- Enhanced immune system
- Abnormally superior athletic condition
- Extensive military, hand-to-hand combat, martial arts, and espionage training
- Enhanced psychological defenses
GREEN ARROW vs THE PUNISHER
- Superb archer
- Peak human physical condition
- Highly-trained martial artist, athlete and swordsman
- Possesses a Recurve Bow with a variety of trick arrows
- Expert in military and guerrilla tactics, strategy, and demolitions
- Highly trained in both armed and unarmed combat
- Stealth and infiltration expert
- Special Forces training
- CQC expert
- Peak human physical condition
- Exceptionally high pain tolerance
Yes! I fucking did it! Oh shit! Goddamn it to fuck son of a bitch! I was THIS CLOSE!